Sunday, May 6, 2012

Navy Beans

 
                    A GOOD S0UP

    Betty got out a can of beans as part of a routine lunch today.
They were Navy beans, those little white ones, famous in the famous Navy bean soup in U.S. Senate dining room in Washington. For a split instant, the sight of those beans took me back to being there in the Capitol, risking a too short spoon in just that soup, in just that dining room, in an effort to do what we could against the war in Vietnam.
   In that instant, in spite of all our anti-war politics, I was in awe of the undoubted grandeur and the immense integrity of the Congress under that great dome.
    There were all those great men-- and single senate woman-- moving about the place.
   Perhaps it is because I am now almost double that age, that I feel that a visit there today to eat the senate’s bean soup would only fill me with contempt for how small and mean and dumb so many of those people have become.
    I am much better off lunching out of a can of beans with Betty here in Boulder where we know what to think. And think how splendid it was to meet Senator Fulbright going into the men's room that day.

1 comment:

MaryC said...

I do think this bunch will go down in history. And not in a good way.

Post a Comment